YEAR 11 TEAM
YEAR 11 KEY DATES 2018
GCSE Mock Exams: 3rd – 17th January 2018 – Click here for timetable
Progression Evening KS4/5: Tuesday 22nd January 2018
Mock Results afternoon: Friday 2nd February 2018 (P5)
– Students calculate their average points score from their Mock results to determine their 6th form pathway.
Final Progress reports (predicted grades): Monday 5th February 2018
Parents Evening: Tuesday 6th February 2018 (3:30 – 6:30pm)
IAG’s: 5th – 23rd February 2018
Sixth Form application deadline: Friday 2nd March 2018
Work Experience deadline: Friday 23rd March 2018. Forms available on Moodle & KS4 resource centre
Year 11 Celebration (Leavers) Assembly: Thursday 10th May 2018 (provisional)
Study Leave begins: From Friday 25th May 2018
GCSE exam period: 14th May – 29th June 2018
School Awards Evening: Tuesday 10th July 2018 (provisional)
Year 11 Prom: Tuesday 10th July 2018
GCSE Results Day & Sixth Form Admissions: Thursday 23rd August 2018
Work Experience / NCS: Students complete during summer holidays after GCSE exams
FINDING WORK EXPERIENCE
- Work Experience is a compulsory part of year 11.
- Year 11’s must organise the placement themselves but the schools careers hub can help facilitate ideas.
- Your work experience should be scheduled for when your GCSE exams are finished (from the end of June to August).
- A 2 week placement is ideal but 1 week is also sufficient. (Some students prefer to do 2 placements, a week in each organisation).
In the new English GCSE, 50% of the marks come from writing;
the best way to get better at writing is by
GETTING THE GRADE IN ENGLISH
We, therefore, suggest the following revision tasks:
- Read one literary short story per week.
- Read at least one ‘Opinion’ article from a newspaper each week
- Each week, re-read an extract from one of the texts you have studied:
E.g. A Christmas Carol, ‘An Inspector Calls’, ‘Romeo and Juliet’, the Poetry Anthology.
If you want more information on how to revise, go onto the Beal High School Moodle page and look for the KS4 En room; you will find there over 30 practice questions for each exam. ENGLISH EXAMS ARE COMING!
YEAR 11 GCSE GEOGRAPHY SUPPORT
September 2017 – June 2018
Dear Year 11 GCSE Geography students,
Please take advantage of all of these additional activities that you can be undertaking in order to improve your GCSE Geography grade in the fast approaching exams this May/June!
1) Every Thursday after school (15:30-16:30) we are running revision lessons in either room 52, 54 or the KS4 hall- for your specific location please see your Geography teacher or Mr Williamson.
2) Every Thursday lunchtime (13:30-14:00) we are running drop-in sessions to answer specific questions you might have relating to GCSE Geography, to re-teach any areas you are unsure about, to set additional exam practice questions and to mark any practice questions you might have completed at home as part of your revision.
3) Visit https://www.gcsepod.com/ and use your school log-in to access revision activities for GCSE Geography. Please note, this website contains some information you do not need to know for your exams, so do make sure you use this tool alongside the specification outline you were given at the start of each topic, to make sure you only revise the things that you need to know. If you need any help with this, please speak to your Geography teacher.
4) Every lunchtime (13:30-14:00) you are welcome to visit the Geography block and borrow any of the revision guides, workbooks and textbooks that we have, so that you can find the revision methods which work best for you. Geography teachers will also be on-hand to answer any questions that you have.
We wish you lots of luck with your revision and preparation. Remember, we are here to help, so please come and speak to us!
All the best,
The Beal High School Geography Department